It is said, “give your child values before giving valuables.”
What are ethics?
Ethics or values are the branch of knowledge that governs a person’s behavior at any particular situation. Ethics basically governs how would you react to a situation where your belief is challenged. It governs our thought process and most of the solutions of our problems are born around the ethics we have. But where do these ethics come from?
Where do ethics come from?
Ethics do not come with the wind or is something that is written in any book to mug up. Ethics is more like a jigsaw puzzle with the number of pieces thrown together over time; which when completed, makes you what you are and what you believe. Ethics molds us, our behavior, our beliefs and widely define our approach in taking a decision towards any particular situation. Ethics mainly are the things that we learn as we grow that govern the rest of our lives.
Why is having the right ethic so important?
Ethics is an essential requirement for human life. They are important for a number of reasons.
- They give us the background for understanding the concept of right and wrong.
- It gives us the means for deciding a course of action. Without ethics, our actions would be aimless and random.
- Ethics act as a mediator between us and the people we meet in our daily life. That’s why we attract like-minded people. If we have right ethics we see people without judgments and accept them for who they are, while wrong ethics makes us react to people in a negative manner.
Key Elements for proper ethics
Ethics should not only come in the picture for timely/emergency situations but should be sought after in making our day to day choices constantly. It must include our relations with others, in recognizing their importance not only for our physical survival but also for our well-being and happiness.
“If you realize your responsibility you will realize your destiny.”
What is a responsibility?
Responsibility is one of the traits of our character that expresses our capability to respond to a particular course of action and its consequences. It is state/situation of which we take complete charge as a duty.
People are not born with the sense of responsibility and it does not appear at once by a magic clasp of the fingers. Responsibility is something every person should cultivate in themselves; it should become a part of one’s personality. Lack of such a trait of character or even its absolute absence was never considered to be a positive feature. When you are responsible it is easier to gain the respect of the people and to take decent place in a society.
Importance of responsibility
Taking responsibilities can refine our character and help us in various aspects of life:-
- Make us act deliberately according to our values, well-chosen beliefs, and long-term goals.
- Make us think for the community as a whole and generous rather than selfish, kind rather than cruel, gratified not greedy.
- Imparts a sense comfort with complexity, doubt, and ambiguity.
- Control our emotions and anger displays.
- Make us emotionally competent and apply a robust theory of knowledge.
- Integrate experiences and information to act rationally, consistently, and reliably rather than unpredictably, inconsistently, irrationally, and erratically.
- Make us trustworthy, not manipulative; respect others and play by a fair set of rules.
- Help us choose wisdom over ignorance.
- Value reason over power, the pen over the sword.
- Motivate us to confront problems and transcend conflict rather than deny and avoid problems, instigate quarrels, become vindictive, or seek revenge.
- Maintain a balanced perspective;
- Attain an authentic humility and keep our egos in check.
- Enjoy fun, but never at the expense of others.
“With great power comes great responsibility; let us all be equally powerful.”
Contributor:- Priya Agarwal
10 thoughts on “Right Ethics and Responsibilities: A Must”
Keep up the good work, I read few content on this web site and I conceive that your web blog is rattling interesting and has got bands of superb information.
You write so hoelntsy about this. Thanks for sharing!
A Man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon this world! Nicely written article!
The Inspiring Article that make me reflect and remind importance of being ethical
Well put! Enjoyed reading the article.